Monday, October 5, 2009

Internet safety Post 5

Egbert, J. (2009). Supporting learning with technology Essentiels of Classroom Practice. Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Pearson Prentice Hall

Chapter 3 discussed interenet safety and its importantance in the classroom. Many times i dont think that teachers take interent safety seriuosly for many reasons. One of the main reasons is because most school systems have in place some sort of internet blocking software that does not let the students get on certain websites. This should not be depended on though by teachers because students know how to get around this software and onto sites that are innappropriate. I have first hand knowledge of this because in my classroom I have 30 computers and I wa surprised when I saw one of my children on facebook. Before i made them get off the program i made sure I looked at how they got on the site. They used a proxy website. That site tricked the computer to think the student was somewhere else. This could have been very dangerous because students could be talking to strangers and this could cause problems. Therefore it is very important to discuss safety rules with students early and often.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Kids are savvy with technology! Teachers also need to be careful because even though schools have safeguards in place to block many sites, they don't catch them all. I remember a fifth grade student accessed something very inappropriate while researching a social studies topic a few years ago. I am thankful I teach kindergarten!

    ReplyDelete